Friday, January 25, 2013

Paddles Up! -- Reprinted from Steve Giles' Blog

Reprinted from Steve Giles' Blog

Paddles Up!
Posted on January 25, 2013 by Steve

John Wood has died.

I was four years old when John Wood stood on the podium at the Montreal Olympics and accepted his silver medal for the C-1 500m.  I did not watch the race, I do not remember the race.  In fact, I don’t recall ever seeing John Wood race a canoe.  However, he is a legend in our sport and he was an inspiration to me at every stage of my athletic career.

When I was 8 or 9 years old I was introduced to canoeing through this video.  Watch it.

This video influenced my entire outlook on sport.  The words that I tried to live by my whole life were the first words I heard John speak:

“The thing that I like most about paddling in a race is winning…but that’s not necessarily what I enjoyed most about paddling”

Throughout my early racing career there were lots of role models and heroes for me to follow.  Larry Cain, came to Orenda in 1984 and inspired us with his medals from Los Angeles.  Tony Hall inspired us as  young athletes to strive to be the best.  Renn Crichlow showed me that Canadians can indeed be the best in the world in canoe (or kayak).  But through it all was the legend of John Wood.  He who had almost beaten the mighty Eastern Bloc, who had come within inches of claiming Gold for Canada at home.  I had never met him, never seen him race and so he was even more of a legend than all of the others.

The first time I actually saw John Wood he was standing with Larry Cain on the top of the hill at Rideau.  I was 13 or 14 and I remember thinking how cool it was that two Olympic medalists were standing there together.  I wouldn’t get a chance to meet John for almost two decades, and only briefly at a barbecue in Florida.  I had a medal of my own, but was still in awe of John and I could not bring myself to tell him what an inspiration he had been for me.

Another decade went by before I met John again.  It was last summer at a special gathering to send off our team to London.  I did tell him then what an inspiration he had been to me, and how I still watched him in Paddles Up! and I still got goose bumps.  

I heard him speak of his race that day, and was again inspired.  He was still passionate about the sport, seemed to really enjoy sharing that passion with today’s crop of elite canoers.  I took a souvenir that day that I will always cherish:

john3
John Wood, Larry Cain, Steve Giles

I wish that I had known John better.  I am sure that he was a special man.  I am also sure that there was much more to him than an Olympic silver medal.  But to me he will always be the legend, and in the sport of canoeing he will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment